Wednesday, January 09, 2008

WIP Wednesdays

As promised, I am starting my WIP Wednesdays today. This week and next week, I am concentrating on my Watermelon Afghan. So far, I am on track with my schedule. I have made 1 square a day for the past 4 days, giving me a total of 14 squares so far. 10 more to go, and I will have enough for an afghan. Then I just have to put the thing together and edge it. I have also made 3 chemo hats so far. 5 days into the Knit a Mile challenge, and I have used 274 yards. Not exactly great, but I am on track to complete the challenge at least. I am meeting with my crochet guild at Borders this morning, and I am hoping to make at least 1 more chemo hat, if not 2, which will help the yardage total.

I found another along online - the 2008 Stashalong. I decided not to join, partly because I belong to enough groups already and partly because I felt like there were too many rules for me to live with successfully. But reading through the site made me realize that I needed better guidelines for myself this year than just a vague "I'm going to knit/crochet down my stash". I know I can't possibly use up all my stash in a year even if I wanted to (which I don't - I do like having stash, just not as much as I have now). So what would make this year's stash down successful? I settled on the goal of trying to use 1,000 yards a month and being down 12,000 yards by the end of the year (assuming I don't buy any yarn at all, which is a big assumption). Even if I do buy yarn along the way, I would still like to end the year with less yarn than I started, maybe in the neighborhood of 10,000 yards. So the fascination with yardage is going to continue into the forseeable future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to begin working on my mitered squares again. I think you are doing great on your yardage totals. I can't wait to see that finished watermelon afghan.