Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why Is the Stash Never Big Enough?

I had a lovely morning yesterday, sitting at Borders with Dee and a friend of hers whom I hadn't met before. As you may recall, Dee had won my contest at the beginning of the month, and this was the first chance I'd had to find out which charity she wanted me to make something for. I have to say that I am just pleased as punch at what she asked me to do. Instead of creating for an established charity, she asked me to make a Doris Chan moebius shawl for someone we both know who needs comforting right now. Dee asked that I use a yarn that is soft and warm, and she would like it made in shades of purple.

I had never thought about substituting the yarn in that pattern before, but as Dee described what she wanted, my mind immediately went to a yarn I had bought at the Webs after Christmas sale. The yarn is Jaeger Baby Merino in a DK weight, so it should substitute beautifully for the Ritratto the pattern calls for, in a purple variegated colorway. It's perfect. Of course, I only bought 2 skeins at the sale, thinking I would use it for a scarf some day, and I don't think I have any other DK weight yarn in the right color to combine it with. (Hence the title of this post!) And of course, the yarn has been discontinued. Webs doesn't list it for sale any more.

Then the word Ravelry jumped into my head. And wouldn't you know, when I went over there to look, 2 people have the exact yarn I want listed for trade or sell in the quantity and colorway I need. I couldn't believe it! I have contacted one of the people and haven't heard back yet. But I'll let you know how this works out.

No comments: