Thursday, August 31, 2006

Combine your Knitting & Crocheting

For the past few years, I have received Berroco's Knit Bits newsletter through e-mail. Lately, the newsletter has been nothing but patterns, but it used to include an article from the editor in each issue. I still remember reading in one issue a while back about how the editor had been to Italy for some sort of fashion preview, and she was happy to report that combining knitting and crocheting in the same garment was the latest thing and quite haute couture. I thought that sounded wonderful, and I couldn't wait to see some patterns. Since then, I have waited, and waited, but the designers all seemed to collectively ignore this trend.

Until now. Finally, this week I received another email newsletter, this time from Crochet Me. In it was a link to their mid-issue sweater, called Ice Blue Ribbon, a garmet that combines a knitted body with crocheted sleeves and bottom border. Even better, Crochet Me reports that the same designer, Annette Petavy, will have two patterns that also combine knitting and crocheting in the upcoming fall issue of Interweave Crochet (link is to preview of issue). So the crocheters are adding knitting to their patterns. Now the knitters need to start adding crocheting to theirs. Either way, I think I am going to enjoy this trend!

No comments: