Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Craft Adventure


I don't want to hammer this topic to death, but I also don't want to leave the topic of Craft Adventure without saying just a few more words about it. I haven't attended the event for about 3 years, but my impression on Saturday was that everything about Craft Adventure was smaller this year. There seemed to be fewer entrants in the competition, fewer vendors, and fewer people in attendance. Don't get me wrong. I had a great time hanging out with my fellow crocheters, and we sold some items and made some money for our guild. (That's our pod in the picture.) And 2 of the guild members won second place ribbons for their items. But I think it is a shame that more people weren't there to experience Craft Adventure for themselves.

One of the things that always impresses me about Craft Adventure is the sheer number and variety of the fiber arts that are represented. Of course knitting and crocheting are there, along with sewing and quilting, weaving and spinning, every kind of embroidery, as well as tatting and lace making. Every piece is the best the artist could do. It really is a feast for the eyes. And it helps me to see where my chosen crafts fit into the bigger picture. So I came home very enthused and ready to experiment with fiber and color. Talk about recharging the batteries! It was the perfect end to summer.

And as of today summer is truly over because it is the most wonderful day of the year - the first day of school in my little town! As I am writing this I just heard my first school bus. Dare I hope that my work life is going to settle back down to normal today? I'll let you know tomorrow!

No comments: