Thursday, August 10, 2006

So How Much Yarn Have I Bought This Summer?

Since I brought this up yesterday, I suppose I should fess up about all my yarn purchases this summer. In my own defense, most of the yarn I bought is earmarked for specific projects. I only bought a little that is just going to increase my stash. Of course now I have to find time to work on all these projects!

I decided last month that I needed a cardigan to go with the tank top I have been diligently working on. My first thought was to have both done for vacation, but I am coming to realize the futility of that thought. Anyway, I chose the Check-Mate Cardigan from Cabin Fever, done in white Berroco Touche, a cotton/rayon blend. I still need to wind the hanks into skeins, so it will be a while before this one gets started.

Then, last week, my LYS had a sale. Bring in your email notice and get 20% off your total order. How could I refuse such a handsome offer? So that trip resulted in 2 skeins of Berroco Suede for the Sacha slippers, and 4 skeins of Galway Highland Heather wool in a beautiful shade of dark violet (#732 on the color card) for my August Whoduknit project. I decided that since the main character of the book we are reading constantly travels the country in a motor home, she would obviously need a really cool bag. So I have decided to make the Lucy Bag. It will be my first attempt at felting.

Then there was the Joann's order that I mentioned last week. In addition to the Tunisian hooks, I stocked up further on Caron's Simply Soft and Bernat's Softee Baby. Hopefully I have enough Simply Soft in my stash now that I can combine colors and make some really interesting hat/mitten/scarf sets this fall. And this is all in addition to the 3 skeins of Russian goat down that I didn't buy, and the 2 skeins of Koigu that I did buy but made into the scarf and gave away last month. Whew!

So this is what happens when work is stressful over the summer. I buy yarn. But it is just so calming to visit the LYS on my lunch hour and pet the yarn. Actually, I don't do that very often, even though the shop is right between work and home and I drive by it several times a day. See how disciplined I am most of the time!

No comments: