Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Chemo Hats

I have been thinking more about the upcoming charity projects my crochet guild is going to be involved in. I find that I struggle a bit with the chemo hats. There are a number of guidelines to be followed when creating them - they need to be soft, easily cared for (no handwashing if possible), and not too lacy or open. This is a little tough, though, because luxury yarns are by far the softest, but they are not easily cared for. Lacier patterns are nicer looking, but I can understand why they are not desirable. On the other hand, a really tight stitch pattern doesn't breathe at all. On top of all that, I am my own toughest critic, and so with all the guidelines, I become extremely critical of my work - does it measure up, will the recepient like what I have done?

However, before I become too whiney, I should add that all is not lost. Dee has a crochet pattern up on her website for a hat based on the bushy stitch. (The direct link isn't working this morning, but just knock on her door and then scroll down to her free patterns section.) I have made several hats using her pattern, and it is a great pattern. But I also need some variety in my creating. It occurred to me that I might try knitting some hats. Maybe that would work out better. So I went looking around the Internet yesterday and found some good information. Headhuggers.org has some interesting patterns, and they suggested something that I had discovered back in the spring but had forgotten about. The Knifty Knitter loom works great for chemo hats! The fabric is dense but has some breathability. They also directed me to Bev's Country Cottage, and from there I found "Patterns by Dot". She has a lot of free patterns available, and while not all her hats would work for chemo hats, I was really impressed with her creativity. When I have a little more time, I will definitely explore her site more thoroughly.

Now I am off to Borders for "Coffee, Chat and Crochet". I am so happy to be going somewhere air conditioned this morning! Take care and stay cool and well-hydrated!

No comments: