Friday, August 04, 2006

Whip Up!

I have been following the Whip Up website for a while, and I decided yesterday that it was time to post about it. If you aren't familiar with the site, it is designed to be a place that showcases the most original and innovative crafting around. I think I found it through CrochetMe's blog. Although all kinds of crafts are featured, there is significant knitting and crocheting content, including the entries for the last 2 days. All of the entries are tagged, as well, so it is easy to use the categories list in the sidebar to find all of the entries on a particular subject. And I have to say that I like seeing some of the work being done in other crafts, as well, even if I don't participate in them myself.

Being cutting edge, though, not everyone will agree with what all the artists and crafters are doing. For example, yesterday's entry highlighted the Counterfeit Crochet project on Stephanie Syjuco's website. She is looking for crocheters to help her create crocheted knockoffs of designer items. I feel a little uncomfortable with this, although the crochet patterns are all original work. The designer items are really just providing the inspiration. (How's that for rationalization?!) Or from two days ago, there is the link to The Anticraft, an online magazine with patterns unlike anything else around. I like Asphyxiation, a crocheted choker based on a vintage pattern (although the name tells you where the designer was going with this), and I find the knitted bomb cover to be whimsical. But I can understand that this won't be everyone's cup of tea!

Well, have a great weekend! I am hopeful that the weather people are right and the humidity at least will recede this weekend. Then maybe I can get back to work on some projects and have wonderful things to show you all next week.

No comments: