Saturday, September 02, 2006

Dishcloth Fun!

Yesterday was the sort of day when I wonder how I have time to work. I had taken the day off as a vacation day so that I could have a nice, restful four day weekend as a reward for working so hard all summer. I really don't know where I get these silly ideas from. I did sleep in, which was nice, but then I spent the rest of the day running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get all my chores and errands done. The rest of the weekend won't be quite so hectic, but it still won't be the quiet weekend I had originally envisioned.

Part of the reason I was so busy yesterday actually ties in very nicely with the topic of today's post. My dh and I have been invited to a Labor Day/housewarming party this evening by a college roommate of my dh's, so of course I need to bring a gift, and of course part of the gift needs to be homemade. This couple actually got married exactly 2 weeks after we did, and they moved into the wife's house, where they have lived for 13 years. For some reason, they bought another house in the same town this summer. So you can see my dilemma. These are people who I don't know very well, who have been married and homeowners already for years. They probably don't need anything for the house, and if they do, I have no way of knowing what it is. So I opted to put together a food basket and include a couple of dishcloths, one knitted and one crocheted. Of course, this required stops at three stores, which added to yesterday's list of errands. But I think the end result was worth it.


The crocheted dishcloth is one of my favorite patterns. I made this one, with ends sewn in, in about 45 minutes yesterday afternoon. The knitted one, which I will finish this morning, is currently all the rage because the pattern was included in the book Mason Dixon Knitting. There is a copy of the pattern available online as well. I had wanted to try the Garterlac dishcloth that is also popular right now, but I just ran out of time. As far as the foodstuff goes, I included a tomato basil viniagrette salad dressing, a Vidalia onion barbeque sauce, some local honey, and some chocolate lace candy. I also found a cranberry nut scented candle in a mason jar at Joann's, so I included that too.

Just in case you can't get enough of dishcloths, check out Dishcloth Fun KAL, Dishcloth KAL and Mason Dixon KAL.

Have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend!

No comments: