Friday, September 29, 2006

International Yarn!

A couple of days ago, I mentioned that I had bought yarn at Patternworks that I thought might be from China. Well, I took the yarn in to my co-worker from Taiwan, and she confirmed that it is indeed Chinese. She was also able to translate the label for me. The brand name translates literally as "Sun Mountain". The label confirms that it is 100% lambswool and says that the yarn was made in an enviromentally friendly way and is bacteria-free. That last was a little odd until my co-worker explained that in China, particularly with food products, it is important to note that a product is "sanitary". So we are guessing that since this is an animal by-product, the makers wanted everyone to know that it is safe to handle.

Then, yesterday, I took that information and went looking around on the web to learn more about the yarn. I found some interesting sites. A search on "Sun Mountain" led me to Little Purl of the Orient. She links to Jody and Paula, both of whom are extremely enthusiastic about the yarn. Finally, I tried a search on "Lacey Lamb Yarn" and it turns out that Patternworks does carry this yarn on their website. Bottom line is that it is considered ideal for cobweb style shawls and there should be enough yardage for the Print o the Wave shawl.

So I am psyched! I now have lace weight yarn from both China and Russia. As always, have a great weekend!

No comments: