Monday, September 18, 2006

2006 Knit Out

What a day we had yesterday at the Knit Out. I have to admit that when the alarm went off at 6 A.M., my first thought was "I'm just not this passionate about my craft!" However, getting to Union Square Park, helping to set up the guild's booth, and then experiencing the day did help to renew my enthusiasm!

The thing that struck me most about the event was the extraordinary amount of charity work being done throughout the day. Project Linus, Warm Up America, and Save the Children all had booths set up.
Warm Up American also had tables set up that were full all day with people joining squares into afghans. I don't know how many afghans were ultimately put together, but one of my friends from my old knitting guild was working in the booth and she was afraid they might run out of squares!

Save the Children collected hats all day. I spoke with 2 members of the New York Guild who were at the table right next to my guild's, and one of them said they had made "1,000 plus change" hats to donate. Then another member came along and said they actually had 2,000 hats done! We kept a tally as well, and I am proud to say that my guild donated 187 hats yesterday. (Keep in mind that the New York Guild has over 100 members, and we have 30-35, not all of whom are active.) Finally, there was the scarf contest. Unfortunately, I missed the judging because I was in the "Learn to Crochet" tent at the time, but all of the scarves in the contest were being donated to the Orphan Foundation of America. I did sneak a peek at some of the scarves. Some were truly outrageous, but all of them were beautiful.

So, all in all it was a great day, but it was also good to get home. I have to finish this post with this picture of a wedding dress that someone in the New York Guild made for her daughter. The picture does not do this dress justice. The stitches were so finely done, and it was covered in beads. It was truly amazing.


Take care, and have a great week! I will be back next week with tales of vacation and more pictures!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the knit out too. Did you see the free form jacket? I took a pix of it it is in my blog.

Lulu said...

looks like so much fun, everyone knitting...love it..