Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Back from Vacation!

So I am back from my travels in Maine and New Hampshire. Vacation was a lot of fun, but it is good to be home again! We put about 800 miles on the car, ate way too much food, and had a few interesting experiences along the way. Here, briefly, is how each day went:

Tuesday- Drove to Kittery, Maine and had lunch at Bob's Clam Hut, and then went shopping of course (lots of outlet stores!). Found the York Harbor Inn and settled in, and then went to the Chauncey Lobster Pound for dinner.
This lobster pound is a great place. You can bring in anything they don't sell, so most people bring in appetizers, wine, salad, table cloths, candles, etc., etc. It is the kind of place where the locals celebrate important life events. We found it last year on vacation, and so this year we were more prepared! We had appetizers with us, as well as a table cloth and real wine glasses (and a bottle of wine!).


Wednesday - Visited used books stores and yarn stores. (I will talk more tomorrow about my yarn purchases.) Happy hour in the inn's pub (did I mention that I drank a wee bit, too!) and then a late dinner in the main dining room.

Thursday - Drove to Franconia, New Hampshire, with a stop at Patternworks along the way. We finally had some down time when we reached the motel, which was nice.

Friday - Spent the day at the Highland Games.
Heard lots of great Scottish music, did some more shopping, and spent some time watching the sheep dog trials (which I somehow forgot to take pictures of). The pipe band in the picture is the 48th Highlanders of Canada. By 5:00, we were done in, so we just got pizza for dinner in the motel room and had a quiet evening.

Saturday - This was the day that didn't work out so well. We woke up to rain, so hiking in Franconia Notch was out. So we went out for a leisurely breakfast and drove through some of the small towns in the area. We ended up hanging around the motel all afternoon. I think my dh was bored, but I got some crocheting done at least! We finished up by going out to dinner and then back to Loon Mountain for a Cape Breton concert with two groups - Halali and the Barra McNeils. The Barra McNeils were terrific. So much talent in one family!

Sunday - Got up and drove home. We were here by 12:30, which was early, but at least I had time to unpack, do some laundry, and get ready for work on Monday.

Finally, between happy hour and dinner on Wednesday, we went for a walk along the shore, partly in order to get a closer look at the monarch butterflies who were migrating through Maine. This little guy stopped long enough on his journey south to pose for me, so I thought I would leave you this morning with this picture. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love Bob's! And thanks for the info about Chauncy's, I've made a mental note for the next time we travel that way - the yarn stores too!