Thursday, September 07, 2006

Scarf Contest

While the knitting may not be going well right now, I cannot believe how much crocheting I have done this week! On Monday, when I gave up swatching for socks, I went back to crocheting. Among other things, I finished up a scarf I had been working on, giving me 3 hat/mitten/scarf sets already for the November donation.

Next Sunday is my crochet guild meeting, and we are supposed to be doing a scarf contest, with the scarves ultimately being donated to charity. This had started out as an outrageous scarf contest, but I'm not sure if it still is. I had been mulling some ideas over in my mind, but I didn't have time to create anything, so I thought. Then I realized that the scarf I was working on, which I was on the verge of frogging, would be perfect for the contest. I had based it on a shawl that I had made a couple of years ago. I had held two strands of Caron's Simply Soft together and used a Q hook, and then I had just done all hdc, working first in the front loop of one stitch and then the back loop of the next stitch. It was very soft and drapey, almost like hairpin lace. I was pretty sure that I had started with a chain of 93 for a 60" long shawl, so I chained the same for the scarf. I'm not sure how long the scarf is, because it is longer than my tape measure, but I would estimate it at about 72"-74"! I used a strand of red and a strand of white Simply Soft, so the color stands out a bit. It is only about 5 1/2" wide, so it is comfortable to wrap around the neck a couple of times. I went ahead and fringed it, even with its length. I'm not sure how outrageous it is, but it will do for Sunday. I will post a picture next week, after the contest.

In addition to the scarf, I have been continuing to make baby hats for Save the Children. I am up to 12, with number 13 on the hook at the moment. I also spent Tuesday night and Wednesday morning working with guild members to make starter kits for the Knit Out on September 17th. This consists of 12 sc worked for 4 rows. We have 300 of these to do, and we got a good start this week. I brought 18 skeins home to work on before Sunday, and I am sure we will do more at our meeting. Actually, they are kind of fun to do. They don't require much thought.

But the best part of this week has been getting to spend some extra time with some of the guild members. It is just so inspiring to see what everyone is up to. And I know some of you will be jealous that I got to see 49 of the 50 caps Dee is donating to Save the Children! Actually I am still impressed by her caps. The caps are so small, really, and yet Dee found something different to do with each one. No two were identical, but they were all beautiful. It really encouraged me to keep going and to keep experimenting in my own way as I continue to crochet more hats.

No comments: