Thursday, May 10, 2007

One More Trip to my LYS!

My efforts to apply for my passport hit a snag yesterday morning when I couldn't find my birth certificate. (We found it last night, along with my dh's, so I will try again next Wednesday morning.) So instead, I decided to visit my LYS before I went to work.

One of the ladies I met at Weight Watchers asked me if I knew or could find out about a CD-ROM that would allow her to design her own counted cross stitch designs. (I always bring some knitting or crocheting with me to the meetings, which is how the conversation came about.) My LYS is both a yarn and a needlework store, so I stopped in to see if they knew of any programs. And of course, while I was there, I did some shopping. I still had money on my gift card from Christmas, and it seemed like the time to spend it. Here's what I got:

The yarn is Plymouth Suri Merino, an alpaca/merino blend, and I have been lusting after both these colors for months now. I finally decided to get enough of each to make 2 more triangular knitted scarves. I just love to wear them in the winter. And I couldn't get left behind on the Interweave Crochet magazine. Given the price, though, I will be sending in my subscription card soon!

There are some nice patterns in the magazine, but nothing I can't wait to make. I have, however, become quite taken with this pattern from Elann.com. I don't usually go crazy for sweater patterns, but I am just itching to make this one. I think it might be the combination of knitting and crochet in one piece that has me fascinated. And it turns out that I have yarn upstairs that would work. Now I just need to find the time!

Unfortunately, time is going to be scarce this weekend. I have quite a bit of housework to do before Sunday, and then we are entertaining the parents on Sunday for Mother's Day. We try to keep things simple, since both moms are getting up there in age. I have ordered flower arrangements for them, and we always cook a special dinner as part of the gift. Serving filet mignon on Mother's Day has become a tradition in our family. So I won't have much time for crafting this weekend. However, I am taking a four day weekend the following weekend to use up the last of my vacation time, and that will give me some much needed R&R.

I probably won't be back until Monday, so let me wish all of you a great weekend and a Happy Mother's Day. May your children go all out for you this weekend!

2 comments:

Deneen said...

We have to get passports for Aruba in September and it's such a darn hassle-I keep putting it off. Once Elena is done school for the year, I'll figure it all out.

That sweater looks like it would be beautiful.

Have a terrific weekend!

Knitika said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! Please get your passport application in really soon. You won't believe how totally backed up they are! My friend is paying an extra $130 per child, plus the US passport expedited fees, to get their passports by next month. Good luck!