Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Back to Work

So my four-day weekend is over and it's back to work for me today. We have a new book in our collection called Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire, and I kept thinking about it because I feel like I have been "crocheting like my hair's on fire" this weekend! It's been great fun, but yesterday it occurred to me that there were any number of things that I had intended to do this weekend that had somehow not gotten done. So I got my rear in gear and accomplished quite a few things. I finished the laundry, paid bills and balanced my checkbook, made reservations for vacation, applied for my passport, went shopping for clothes and shoes and makeup, and got my mother's groceries and helped her change the dust ruffle on her bed. When I got to her apartment, she thought I looked tired, so I had to explain what kind of day I was having! And I finished up the afternoon by doing some straightening in my yarn room and getting most, if not all, of my partial skeins of yarn in one place so that I can continue to make afghan squares.

So not much crocheting or knitting happened yesterday. I finished up one more WUA square, but I will post pictures when I get a few more done. I did poke around the internet a bit. Over at Our Finished Work, Jorie mentioned a group called Blankets for the Gulf. While I was looking at their site, I linked over to another group called Close Knit Hugs. I had no idea so many places are looking for afghan squares - it has given me ideas, but more about that at the end of the week! Anyway, Close Knit Hugs has the greatest template for 8" squares. I printed it out because that is the size of the squares for Rebuilding Greensburg as well. I also have to say that I have become quite addicted to Laura's daily block report - she is up to 105 squares already! But she needs over 1,000 more, so there is plenty of work left to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up the information on Rebuilding Greensburg. I have just started making some mitered squares and now I have somewhere to send them.

Heather said...

Thanks for mentioning Blankets for the Gulf! I just heard yesterday that the National Weather Service is predicting a 75% chance of a more active hurricane season this year, so we many need to start stockpiling blankets. We all know how long it takes to make a blanket, so the sooner people can start, the better. And if we don't need them (and I hope we don't!) people can donate to their local charities instead. Thank you, Heather Foeh (Founder, Blankets for the Gulf)