Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm Officially Old!

I knew this would happen eventually, and last night was the night. I finally went in to get my eyes checked. I was about 3 years overdue for the appointment. Luckily my eyes are healthy, so I got away with it this time. However, the lenses in my eyes just doesn't respond like they used to, and this really affects my ability to see close up and in that intermediate range where I do most of my knitting and crocheting. So, yes, I am getting bifocals! Part of me thinks I am too young, but part of me is just so tired of not being able to see certain things with or without the glasses that I really can't wait to get the new glasses. Maybe I can finally finish knitting that pair of socks that I have put down because the stitches are just too small to see right now!

I am also still in sticker shock. It is amazing how much a pair of glasses can cost. However, since I use them every minute of every day, I spared no expense. I got the progressive lens (at least I think that is the right name) that don't have a line between the 2 halves of the lens. I also got the non glare glass because I work with computers and under fluorescent lights so much. And best of all, I got the kind that come with sunglasses that attach magnetically to the frames. The shades are the same shape and size as the glasses and are designed to not scratch. I haven't had sunglasses for 5 years, and I really didn't want to have to switch glasses every time I went outside. My dh has the transition lenses, but those don't work all that well, either. So I think what I got will be a good solution for me. Now I just have to wait a week and a half for the new glasses to come in, and then be patient for a few days while I get used to them.

We seem to have settled on Brier Island for vacation, so I am off this morning to apply for my passport. My mother, my grandmother, and I went to Scotland in 1970, and I was young enough to be put on my mom's passport. But I have never had one of my own. Other than a few trips to Canada and Mexico, I haven't been out of the country since 1970. So this is very exciting. And I am getting very excited about vacation, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your vacation sounds exciting. I agree with you on the transitions. I purchased my first pair of them last year when I got my eyes checked and I will never buy another pair. To me they just aren't as dark as regular sunglasses (and I got the darkest they had available) and I still have to squench up my eyes in bright sunlight. I think you made a wise choice on the magnetic clip ons. They rock.

Deneen said...

LOL-I made that announcement weeks ago myself. I need the three lens thing, computer is center, upper is driving and lower is maybe reading (I don't need glasses to read or to crochet). Aging truly isn't for the weak, is it?