Monday, April 23, 2007

Worth Waiting For!

Definitely the first thing worth waiting for this weekend was the weather! Temps in the 70s and 80s, but no humidity. It was heaven! We don't get spring very often here in CT, but this weekend filled the bill. And I did accomplish quite a bit - housework done; laundry (like I have a choice!) done; yard work, well started at least and the patio furniture is now out (we even ate dinner outside last night); and guild newsletter, mostly done. Crafting, well not so much, but I will show you what I accomplished later in the week.

The second thing that was worth waiting for arrived in the mail on Saturday. Last November (I think) I signed up for the Knit Mitt Kit Swap. You might remember my efforts at felting while I was sick with the stomach virus in January. Well, my first partner checked in once with me and then disappeared. So eventually the swap organizers found me an "angel", and on Saturday I finally received my kit. And yes, it was worth waiting for!

The first thing that popped out of the kit was the book - Favorite Mittens by Robin Hansen. What an amazing book. It contains a wealth of information about traditional mitten patterns and techniques, many of which come from Maine (just about my most favorite place on earth).

The kit also contained Frog Tree Alpaca yarn in 3 beautiful colors, a set of beaded stitch markers, a Burt's Bees starter kit (which is good because my hands are still dry from the winter), and a bag of Hershey's chocolates (which have mysteriously disappeared already!). All of these goodies came in a beautiful bag with some quilting around the top. So I have to send out a big thank you to Valerie for completely spoiling me with this kit! Now I just need to pick out a pattern and start making myself some mittens for next winter.

2 comments:

Deneen said...

Yay for the good weekend. You are right, we usually go right to summer, so I was loving the weekend too.

Nice swap package. I am curious about how alpaca felts. I am sensitive to it when I crochet with it (I can use it, but when it lays on my lap or stomach as I crochet, it gets super itchy and red), but I wouldn't mind felting with it.

Stephanie... said...

Great package. I also did the mitten swap and got great mitts. It does remind me though that I still haven't heard from another partner in a swap-bot book swap!