Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Blanket Thoughts

I spent yesterday thinking that I would really like to go home and accomplish something last night, preferably involving finishing something. Unfortunately, I get home late on Tuesday nights, and after a leisurely dinner on the deck, I didn't have a long evening. So I worked on this blanket that has been hanging around for about a year (yes, another one - and there's still one more on the hook!).

Before I started, I measured the blanket and right now it is about 28" square. I didn't really intend for it to be 28" wide, but that's what it is. So I gave some thought to how long it should be. I had the idea to take a couple of standard blanket sizes and figure out the ratio between length and width. Well, for 24" X 36" and for 40" X 60", the ratio is 1.5 for both. So if I use that ratio, this blanket should be 42" long. I should have enough yarn, so I will keep going and see how I feel as it grows. Yarn is TLC Baby, stitch is the V stitch, and I am using a G hook on this one.

I've also been thinking more about blankets for 7-12 year olds. I found this pattern that I would like to try, possibly in a rainbow of colors randomly striped, a la the ripple. I also found another note I had made along the way that lists a child's blanket as 36" X 45", which sounds more doable than 40" X 60" ( a teen blanket on this note). I don't remember where those sizes came from, and I do wish blanket sizes were a bit more standardized. Too many choices can keep me from doing anything. And of course, if I do a granny-style afghan, it will be square and not rectangular, so I don't know why I am worrying about this, but that's just the way my brain works!

And finally, through Whip Up this morning, I found a yarn shop in Blacksburg, VA that is going to collect 8" X 8" squares to make afghans for the families of the VA Tech victims. They are looking for knitted or crocheted squares in maroon, burnt orange, white and black, made with nice, soft yarn. I have an order coming today from Joanns.com with all sorts of colors of Caron Simply Soft Brites, including mango and coconut, so that I can start some squares for Crafting for a Cause, so I may try to make some for the yarn shop as well.

I'm not entirely sure how this has happened, but blankets have taken over my life! I may as well go with this now, though, because come summer, blankets are going to be the last thing I will want to work on, with the possible exception of smaller sized squares.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

I crocheted one blanket a few years ago. It took me 3 months on a large hook. The only thing I is I wish I had made it wider. It is very warm and I love covering up with it. I should try that again sometime. I think blankets can come in any and every size. Have fun with all your blankets.