Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Grannies for Preemies


So in an effort to redeem myself after the mistakes of Saturday, last Sunday I decided to use up some scraps of yarn that have been hanging around for ever and make some granny squares that I could put together into another preemie afghan. I really had fun putting different colors together, and I managed to make 7 squares out of my scraps. I needed 9 squares to complete the blanket, so for the last 2 squares I used yarn from a couple of newer skeins. I think all the squares work together, but I was surprised by the differences in color and texture from the older to the newer yarns. I was also surprised by how easily I chose colors to put together. I think the ripple along and the granny along are really starting to have an impact on my color sense!

I should have spent last night weaving in ends on these squares, but I started working on another idea. The squares with green, pink and yellow have really inspired me, and I am trying to incorporate those colors into yet another preemie blanket. I know what I want, but I am still working out some details.

(I have CNN on as I am writing this, and the disconnect between this happy post and the horrible news out of Virginia Tech is starting to get to me. All I can say is that when I hear about such evil in the world, I realize that my charity knitting and crocheting is very important to me. It's not much, but it is my way of bringing a little good into the world. In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone on Virginia Tech's campus. No one should have to live through such an act of violence.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those squares will make a lovely blanket. Those colors go together quite nicely. It looks so soft.