Saturday, April 21, 2007

Not Much Crafting Going On

I really haven't accomplished much in the past 2 days. This was Spring Break here in town, and work ran the gamut this week from extraordinarily busy to very quiet. One of my part timers was on vacation as well, so I worked alone on the desk more than usual and ended the week very tired. I am very happy to have a full weekend off to catch up.

I do have a couple of items to relate, though. I joined yet another community this week - Crafting for a Cause. One of their members joined 25 Things for Charity a week or so ago, and so I spent some time lurking on their sites. (They have a Live Journal community, too.) They seem like a fun, enthusiastic group, and I like that they count donated items as a community. I think it will really help me to feel like I am making a difference with my crafting, much the same way donating through my crochet guild does. Of course, this has given me a couple of other projects to work on! The group is collecting 7"X9" afghan squares for Warm Up America, as well as 12" squares in Virginia Tech's colors for afghans to be donated in memory of the victims. I have already gotten some maroon and yellow yarn to start some squares this weekend. I still have some gauge issues with the WUA squares, but I am determined to work through them and produce some perfectly sized squares.

So this means that I have the following projects to work on this weekend:

1. Weave in ends on the hat I made last weekend, and frog and rework the scarf to match. I have a really good idea for the scarf, and I can't wait to see if it works out!
2. Finish designing the crocheted preemie blanket, and work on designing a knitted version. Lacey's comment from yesterday has just sparked all kinds of ideas in my head. I don't design knitted items very often, though, so that one will probably take a little longer to put together.
3. Finish the granny square preemie blanket and start 1 or 2 more in an easier stitch that I can finish faster. While I'm at it, I should really finish the ripple preemie that I had started several weeks ago!
4. Work on afghan squares in 2 different sizes and a variety of colors.
5. Work on all the other WIPs I have going.

Oh yeah and do housework, yard work, laundry, and work on the next issue of the guild's newsletter! Luckily, I have no deadlines yet on any of the aforementioned projects, so I don't have to finish everything this weekend. So I will probably just work on whatever I feel like at any given moment. I'll let you know on Monday how successful I am!

One last thing - through the Granny Along I learned this morning that there is now going to be an ongoing Crochet Carnival. (A carnival is like an online magazine of exceptional blog posts.) I think this is just more proof that crochet is currently experiencing a real revival. I will have to look through some of my posts and see if I have anything to submit. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Heather Cox said...

Thanks for linking the carnival - it's up now if you want to check it out. :)