Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Triads and Split Complimentaries

As promised, I have pictures of more of the granny squares I made this weekend. In addition to playing with shades of one color, with a complimentary color thrown in, I also played around with 3 color combinations.

First, I tried some split complimentary colors. Split complimentaries consist of a main color and the colors on either side of the main color's compliment. On the color wheel, the colors form an isosceles triangle. The color combinations tend to be more muted.
Then I tried some triads. These are colors that are equidistant from each other on the color wheel. The colors form an equilateral triangle. These combinations tend to be brighter.
It was fascinating to watch all of the color combinations come together in the square. The colors look so different crocheted up than when the skeins are just sitting next to each other. And I love that my "swatches" will ultimately be useful.

No comments: