Monday, March 26, 2007

The No End in Sight Shoop Shoop Capelet

On Saturday, I decided to try my Shoop Shoop capelet on and make some final decisions about length. I also wasn't completely sure I liked it, but wearing it for a while and looking at it in the mirror, I decided that I did like it and that it did need to be about 2 rows longer. Despite the fact that it is lacy and cotton, it felt really warm on my shoulders. And that's when I made my mistake. I had a "thought".

Next Sunday is my MIL's birthday and next Monday is my FIL's birthday. We are celebrating on Saturday night. Birthday gifts are always a challenge. But while I had the capelet on, it occurred to me that it would be a nice gift for my MIL. My DH liked the idea as well, but we agreed that the white was a bit plain. Off we went to Michael's, and we found a color of Lion Brand's Microspun that we liked. The label said "sport", so I assumed that I could hold 2 strands together and get worsted weight. In order to have some color interest, I held a strand of lavender and a strand of white together. We came home, and I went to work.

By dinnertime last night, I had finished the 9 rows of the body and just needed to edge it. But I took a good look at it and realized that while it is the same size as my first one, it is much heavier and far less lacy. In other words, it is not at all what I was aiming for when I started. I am demoralized enough that I didn't bother with a picture. Luckily, this is one of the fasted patterns I have ever worked up, so I will stop by the LYS on my lunch hour today and see if I can get a ww cotton or cotton blend that will give me the look I want. After all, I still have 5 days to get this present finished!

1 comment:

Deneen said...

Good to know about the extra two rows-I had intended to do that.

I had substituting yarn sometimes and I do think Microspun, 2 strands is too thick-maybe one strand and up a hook size for gauge.