Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Kitchen Nostalgia

Today, I thought I would take a break from talking about capelets. Hopefully I will have a picture of a completed capelet tomorrow (if I don't spend too much time on this post today).

Recently, the library finally got a copy of The Apron Book by EllynAnne Geisel, which I have been waiting for for months. I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it yet, but the first time I flipped through it, this picture jumped out at me:

Crocheted aprons! What a great idea. I wondered if the patterns might be available online somewhere. Well, lo and behold, it didn't take much looking to find one that is almost identical, and a second that is very similar. Both are listed on Crochet Pattern Central. Of course, I think I would have to be crazy to make an apron out of thread crochet - after all that work, if I ever spilled anything on it I would shoot myself! But I was glad to find the pattern.

Finding those patterns so easily reminded me of another time I went looking for a pattern. When I was growing up and living with my Scottish grandmother, we used to knit tea cozies one after another. As a matter of fact, the first thing I ever knitted was probably a tea cozy. Tea drinking was almost a religious experience for my grandmother, so we went through a lot of cozies. We always used the same pattern, and a few years ago, I found myself wondering if I could find the pattern online. The pattern we always made used 2 colors of yarn, with one color carried along the back. This made for a pleated fabric that was very insulated. Anyway, again without having to look very hard, I found the pattern online. Unfortunately it doesn't have a picture, but this pattern is similar enough that it will give you the idea. I don't drink tea, so I probably won't make a cozy even though I found the pattern. But I like the idea of knowing it's available, should I ever have the urge to make one. It makes me feel connected to my past, which is a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Priscilla,
If you'd like to see crochet from the past, take a ride to Outhouse Orchards located on Hardscrabble Road in Croton Falls, NY ... no website for them, but you can call if you'd like: (914) 277-3188

In their store they have a room filled with various items from the past, including a clothes line with various crocheted items hanging on it. The last time I was there (in the fall), I do recall seeing crocheted aprons, pot holders, and wash cloths available for purchase. They look like they were made in the 1950s-1960s!

~Dee