Monday, March 12, 2007

Shades of Color

I managed to make 11 granny squares this weekend, and tie in ends on 3 of them. I had so much fun playing with colors that I don't think I will stop with just this 11. However, I am running out of time this morning, so I am only going to post about the first 4 I made.

I started my experiment in color harmony by making a granny in shades of purple.


For the second one, I added some yellow, purple's complementary color, to the center.
The yellow doesn't photograph well, but in real life, it is amazing the difference between the two squares. The second one just pops out at you.

Then I tried the same thing with shades of blue. The orange is much easier to see in the photograph, and I think these two squares show the principle of adding the complementary color to shades of one color more clearly.

I have to say that tying in all the ends takes just about as long as crocheting the granny does. I have a lot of work ahead of me. But it is worth it to see how the colors work together.

Finally, I also worked on my ripple this weekend. Here it is, with all colors used once. Now I will start the stripe pattern over again. I can't wait to see how it looks once I start repeating colors!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ripple afghan looks great! I love all the pretty colors. I bet that is a great stash-busting idea.