Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Knit from your Stash 2007

I have to say that I have been enjoying reading the Stash and UFO Bust-along blog this week. One of the requirements for joining is that you "flash your stash", and while I have no intentions of joining this KAL, I thought it might be cathartic to show you the mess that is my yarn room. I took these pictures in September, but I can assure you that it has only gotten worse!


One real problem is that too much yarn is being stored in plastic bags! Also, this isn't all of the yarn. There is more in and behind the cabinet that isn't shown in these pictures! I should also point out that all other types of bags, besides the plastic ones, are holding UFOs. Yes, I really need to do something about this!

So I have decided to commit to "Knit from Your Stash 2007". Here are my revisions to the guidelines:

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through July 12, 2007 -- a period of just over 6 months -- since I am going to the Knit & Crochet Show and I know I won't be able to resist the Yarn Market!

2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:

2.a. Sock yarn does not count. What? You think we are made of stone? (Since I have a lot of sock yarn already, and since I don't knit that many socks, I don't really need this exception, but I can't think of anything to replace it with.)

2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift or a gift of yarn (for swaps) that I really and truly do not have the yarn for, I may buy yarn to knit or complete that gift.

2.c. If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.d. I get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- I am allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

2.e. If I need yarn for a project on Whoduknit, and I truly do not have the yarn in the stash, then I may buy the yarn for that project only.

3. I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn. (This includes spending the gift certificate to my LYS that I got for Christmas. After all, it would be rude not to spend it!)

4. Trading stash is allowed.

5. At least one UFO should be finished each month.

We will see how well I do with this! I have already realized that I have to take temptation out of my path. It is amazing how much time I spend looking at websites and catalogs that sell yarn. I have got to curtail this if I want to be successful over the next 6 months!

No comments: