Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My New Crocheted Lace Fixation Continues!

Reading through the posts on the Ravelry Lace Crochet group yesterday morning, I discovered a book that I hadn't heard of before - Crochet Lace by Mary Konior. Apparently, this book is out of print and hard to get second hand (as well as very expensive). So I did what any self-respecting librarian would do. I looked to see what libraries in the area owned it. As it turned out, I had a meeting to go to yesterday morning for work at a library in a nearby town, and they just happened to own the book! So I was able to check it out while I was there, and I am now happily perusing it.

There is a lot of great information in the book about 19th century crocheted shawls, as well as 32 stitch patterns and 18 shawl patterns. The patterns are all charted as well as written out, which is useful because the crochet stitches themselves look so different when worked with laceweight yarn and an F or G hook. This makes me want to experiment with my favorite stitch patterns to see what they will look like in laceweight yarn.

There's only one problem that I can see with this newfound fixation of mine. What on earth am I going to do with all of the shawls I now want to make? I may have to experiment with scarves, too, and with fingering weight yarn as well. This might actually be a good way to use up the sock yarn stash, since I don't seem to be knitting socks with it!

No comments: