Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Another Summer of Lace?

Two summers ago, just after I had started blogging, it seemed like everyone online was knitting lace. Almost daily, I would sneak into my office at work to take a 5 minute break from the chaos and feast my eyes on gorgeous lace shawls. There were KALs and "the Amazing Lace". It was fantastic! And then, last summer, there was almost no lace to be found. There were a lot of socks and spinning, and of course there was all the excitement about Ravelry. But not much lace. I left Beth (a superb lace knitter) a comment to this effect, and she kindly wrote back and assured me that lace was bound to make a comeback soon.

From what I have been seeing lately online, I am going to hazard a prediction that lace is indeed going to make a comeback this summer. The twist, though, is that this summer is going to be all about crocheted lace. It's started already with the buzz about Eva's shawl (which I was able to work on some yesterday -yeah!). There's a new Ravelry group called simply "Lace Crochet", moderated by Amy O'Neill Houck. And now there is this simply stunning shawl, (brought to my attention through the Ravelry group).

Amy Singer from Knitty recently issued a call to "liberate your laceweight" (and fingering weight yarn). Who knew that crocheters would take her up on the challenge?!

No comments: