Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Second Mitten Syndrome=Frustration

So far in my knitting life, I have avoided second sock syndrome. Of course, given the fact that I have only finished one pair of socks, with 2 more first socks on the needles, that's not saying much. With enough time, I'm sure I can develop second sock syndrome!

In the meantime, I seem to have a very bad case of second mitten syndrome. I was digging around in my box of charity projects a while back, and I found 3 single mittens, all needing mates. So this weekend, I declared war on second mitten syndrome. Unfortunately, my efforts to knit mates for mittens that were made years ago have not gone all that well.

Exhibit A - the yellow mittens:
The one on the left was made years ago, the one on the right was knit on Sunday. They are the same size, but not exactly the same shape.

Exhibit B - the pink mittens:
Again, the one on the left was knit some time ago. Obviously, this pair is the same shape but not at all the same size.

I will donate the yellow pair, on the theory that a toddler probably won't care if the mittens aren't exactly identical. However, even though I don't like waste, I am ready to cut my losses and give up on the pink mittens. I'm not sure I can duplicate the larger one, and I am getting really tired of knitting mittens flat and then seaming them. It's just so much easier to knit mittens in the round, and they come out looking better, too. So I think I am going to start on a fresh pair and make both mittens at the same time (without years of lag time between them).

Oh, and that 3rd mitten I found? It's crocheted using a pattern similar to this one. The problem is that I have to count every stitch on every row, so they take a lot longer than knitting (and I don't say that very often). However, as I have time, I will try to make a mate for that one as well. Hopefully, that one will go better than the last 2!

1 comment:

Knitika said...

Oh, man, I have that exact same problem! I struggled so hard to get my second mitten the same size and every single time my daughter puts them on, she points out how one is smaller than the other. Then says, "But that's okay, momma." I feel your pain!