Monday, October 22, 2007

Rhinebeck!

So, of course today I have to blog about Rhinebeck! I thought I would just scatter some of the pictures I took yesterday throughout this post, without much explanation. There isn't much I can add, so I might as well let them speak for themselves.

I had the alarm set for 6:30 yesterday morning, which is my normal wake up time. However, my eyes popped open at 5 A.M., and I knew I wouldn't be getting back to sleep. I guess I really was excited about going! I had to be patient, though, and we finally arrived at the fairgrounds about 11:00.

Our first stop was the authors tent, but Margaret wasn't there yet. I was impressed, though, because Stephanie Pearl McPhee and Ann and Kay from Mason Dixon Knitting were both there. Unfortunately, I own all their books, so I didn't have a reason to speak with them. But it was still exciting to see them in person.

Then we started to shop. We went through one building with vendors in it, and then a second building that had the spinning guilds demonstrating and a lot of vendors selling food and wine. And I thought, this is ok, not too overwhelming. But then we moved on into the heart of the fair. All I can say is WOW! I had no idea there would be so many vendors in so many buildings. Not all of them sold yarn exclusively, but there was plenty of fiber to pet. And there were sheep and alpacas and llamas to look at. And people seemed to be spinning everywhere you looked. I don't think I have ever seen so much roving in one place.


So the rest of the day was spent shopping. I was good, though. I only adopted 3 skeins of yarn. I really concentrated on the hand spun and dyed yarns that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. My first skein came from Hamton Hills Alpacas in Somers, CT.
It is 250 yards of a sport weight alpaca in the colorway "Dark Jewel". I'm pretty sure this is destined to become a scarf.

I'm not sure where my second skein comes from. There was no label on it, and I didn't get a receipt. Nor did I pay attention to which stall I was in. But I fell in love with the color.
It is 200 yards of 100% merino fingering weight yarn. Again, it will probably become a scarf.

And finally, I bought a skein of "Duet" from Brooks Farm Yarn.
500 yards of a kid mohair/fine merino blend in a DK weight. It is soft and pretty, and I'm thinking maybe a small shawl/large scarf, possibly a Clapotis.

I can't wait to start some new projects!

No comments: