Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What a Weekend!

So my goals for this weekend were threefold - clean the house & get laundry done, help my dh do some yard work, and rest and recuperate from the cold I had been fighting since last Thursday. Amazingly enough, I met all three goals by seriously pacing myself each day - long periods of inactivity punctuated by brief flurries of activity. Unfortunately, something had to give this weekend, though, and that something was my crochet guild meeting. So I still don't know how to do modular crochet. Dee should have pictures of the workshop up soon, so I can see what I missed on Sunday!

The good news is that since I had so much down time this weekend, I actually got some knitting done. As a matter of fact, this was the most fun knitting weekend I have had in a long time. Exhibit A: I made a pair of mittens to complete this hat, mitten & scarf set for the Salvation Army.

I hadn't made mittens in a long time. At some point, I had tried to put together the best parts of several mitten patterns to make the perfect mitten, but the first mitten I made with that pattern was an unmitigated disaster and I hadn't made one since! The pattern still isn't perfect. I still need to adjust some of the numbers. But this pair of mittens came out much, much better and should keep someone's hands nice and warm this winter. The entire set is made out of Caron's Simply Soft in a raspberry color. I used a mistake rib for the scarf and the Addison Hat pattern for the hat.

Exhibit B: the Liesel Scarf.
This felt like a gift from the knitting gods! Not only did I find time to work on it, but it is the first piece of lace I have made that has gone well. I love the results the few times I have tried to make lace, but the process has left something to be desired. But this scarf is really fun to work on! The pattern is complicated enough to be interesting but easy enough to be enjoyable. I am using a Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora that I got on sale at Herrschners at some point this year. The only problem so far with the scarf is that every time I sit down to work on it, I find myself humming "The Lonely Goatherd". Although I'm not sure why, since "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" would be the more appropriate song for Liesel. I guess early exposure to The Sound of Music is something you never recover from!

I'm running out of time, so Exhibit C will have to wait until tomorrow! Have a great day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The scarf looks lovely. I laughed out loud thinking about your sitting and home the lonely goatherder . . . it is something I would do too!