Friday, October 06, 2006

Inspiration Part 2

I'm still thinking about inspiration after yesterday's post, and I remembered another aspect of it that I wanted to mention. I know that I have kind of been standing back and laughing at myself joining so many groups and "alongs" online. I laugh because what I am doing online feels so much liking playing. I really haven't had this much fun in years. The only odd thing is that I am having trouble explaining this to my family, who probably think I am a little crazy right now!

But on a more serious level, I find myself joining groups online for the same reason I join guilds in the real world. The contact with others doing the same crafts is both educational and inspirational. I really never used to finish anything until I joined my guilds. I still don't finish everything I start, but my track record is much improved! It also occurred to me recently that it has been a year now since I attended my last knitting guild meeting, and I miss them. Unfortunately my work schedule just doesn't permit me to make the meetings. So the contact online with other knitters is really important to me. I'm sure that I won't finish every project on time, but then neither do a lot of other people, and at least there aren't penalties online for not finishing! And in the meantime, I get to learn from others in the groups and be inspired by the projects they are creating.

So does this mean that I am considering joining a few more groups? Yes! I have found two more KALs that I may join this weekend - Warm Hands and My First Toe Up Sock (an offshoot of Socktoberfest). I fully intend to knit some mittens this fall for charity, and I really want to try toe-up socks, so both seem to be perfect for me and overlap things I am already doing. And if you wonder how I find all these KALs, there is a list that I check regularly to see how things are coming and what's new.

And as if I don't have enough going on, it occurred to me that my crochet guild meeting is this Sunday already. We are having a workshop to celebrate the group's 5th anniversary. Barbara Hillary is coming to teach us modular crochet, and to learn the technique we are each going to make a baby sweater that will be donated to charity. So add that to my growing list of October projects! Good thing it's a 3 day weekend!

No comments: