Thursday, July 26, 2007

What Was I Thinking?

I had some time yesterday morning, so I took a look at the hat and mittens I want to finish up this week. I had already decided that the hat was long enough, and all I needed to do was the decreasing at the top. So I went ahead and finished it up, and here it is:
It came out ok, but for some reason I screwed around with the pattern. I made the brim shorter than called for, and then I ended up making the body of the hat shorter as well. It will fit a child, but still - what was I thinking? I really should just stick to the pattern or find another one if I don't like the one I'm using! I actually don't like the way this pattern handles the decreasing at the top, so I should stop using it, if I can remember.

Then I looked at the mittens. One problem with putting projects down is getting back into them when you pick them up again. So I counted stitches and measured what I had done to try to figure out what size I was making. The first pair should be straightforward. One mitten is already done, and it was easy to figure out what size I was making.

The other pair, however, caused me to ask yet again - what was I thinking? I started the first mitten on one long circular needle, which is fine, since I have a pattern that is written for 3 dps that I can translate to one long circ. The problem is that I seem to be using the number of stitches from a pattern that is written for 2 straight needles. So I am going to have to figure out how to put these 2 patterns together to make this mitten and then remember what I did to make the second one. I think I will tackle that problem over the weekend when I have time to think!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I've done that with UFOs more times than I care to admit.

Knitika said...

You know, I was struggling with that problem just last night...

I started one mitten for my daughter in March, and just finished it last night. I tried to start the second last night and I could NOT figure it out. While I used the exact same needle and stitch count, the cuff kept coming out too tight to even let her put it on.

So all my sympathy for figuring this stuff out much later!