Friday, June 02, 2006

Sock it to me!

One problem with being "home schooled" in the arts of knitting and crocheting is that there are some definite gaps in my knowledge. So my goal this year has been to fill in some of those gaps by taking classes at my LYS. Right now, I am in the middle of a knitted sock class, and so far I love to knit socks. I have had the feeling for a while that if I ever started knitting socks, I would never stop, and then, before I signed up for the class, I took a look at my stash and realized that I have a lot of sock yarn, which I had bought without knowing how to knit socks. So it was definitely time to learn! I am using Plymouth Encore in the blue and white variegated. I chose worsted weight for the first pair mostly because I knew that they would knit up more quickly, but my next pair will be made with sock yarn.

What I didn't realize when I started the class was how many skills I would learn/refresh in the class. I know this won't be news to experienced knitters, but if there are any newer knitters reading this, I highly recommend taking a sock class as a way to take your knitting skills to the next level. Socks require the following skills (some of which I knew, some of which I had never tried before): using double-pointed needles, slip stitches, short rows, decreasing, picking up stitches along the sides of the heel, and the Kitchener stitch (a method of grafting stitches rather than sewing them together). I also recommend taking a class, though, and learning how to do all of these things right from the get go. Several experienced knitters said that to me before I took the class, and they were absolutely right.

I'm not sure how interesting pictures of a half made sock will be, but I will try to post some when I get a little more time over the weekend.

No comments: