Friday, June 16, 2006

Coincedences

As I understand it, novelists aren't supposed to use coincedence as a plot device, probably because it would be easy to overdo it. Yet, an experienced novelist like E.L. Doctorow can turn coincedence into an underlying theme in a novel like Ragtime to great effect, making the novel feel like real life. I bring this up because I had one of those coincedences yesterday.

After blogging about the Sally Melville books yesterday morning, and then working all day, I went to my last sock knitting class in the evening. I did really well with the Kitchener stitch, although doing it over 8 stitches didn't give me a lot of practice. I had some trouble starting my 2nd sock because my stitches got twisted, but I finally got it going. Then, as we were sitting there chatting, our teacher started to talk about the fall classes and mentioned that they are going to be offering a class (more of a knit-along, really) on the Einstein coat found in the first volume of The Knitting Experience! The rest of the classes aren't set yet, but they are definitely offering that one. Being a working girl, I will have to see when the class is offered, but if I can fit it into my schedule, I am considering taking it. The coat is a versatile pattern that lends itself to any size and almost any yarn. I am already thinking about doing it in a bulky yarn so that it grows quickly. I don't work with bulky yarn very often, but I might for this project. I'll just have to wait and see. But it does seem funny that I was drooling over Sally Melville's patterns yesterday morning, and then I was offered the perfect opportunity to make one yesterday evening!

So, this weekend, my goal is to finish my crocheted Aran sweater, work on or finish my Fair Isle hat, and work on my second sock. I'll have to see how much the housework interferes with that plan! I may pop in here over the weekend, but if I don't get that chance, have a great weekend and I will see you again on Monday morning.

No comments: