Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Maisie Dobbs

So, we went to the movies last night and saw A Prairie Home Companion, which I would highly recommend. However, that means that I didn't get much knitting done. But I realized that joining Whoduknit means that I can now justify incorporating my love of mysteries into this blog, so I thought this morning that I would talk a little bit about the mystery I finished reading over the weekend.

The book I finished this weekend is called Pardonable Lies, and it is the 3rd in the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. The books are set in Britain after World War I and feature a very interesting and unusual young woman. Maisie was born into the servent class but received an education ( the backstory to this series is fairly complicated, so I won't go into any more detail here) and then served as a nurse in France during the war. After the war, she decides to put her talents to use by opening a private detective agency. Of course the books focus on some of her cases. Maisie is intuitive almost, but not quite, to the point of being psychic, so she is one of the most interesting characters I have ever encountered in a mystery series. I also enjoy mysteries set just after World War I (Charles Todd is another author who comes to mind in this category). It must have been a very emotional time, especially in Europe, so authors have a lot to draw on in their writing.

Of course, joining Whoduknit has also gotten me thinking about possible projects that would coincide with the books I am reading. Maisie is very efficient and practical, even in her dress, so my first thought was a plain, sturdy cardigan, possibly with raglan sleeves, but in a very rich, earthy color, like chocolate brown. But then I read a little farther, and a wealthy friend of Maisie's, who is not so practical, buys her a very expensive and fashionable outfit. The outfit includes a light blue cashmere wrap that I now can't get out of my mind. It would cost a fortune, but it would be so much fun to knit up!

No comments: