Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Knit Alongs

I always thought that I was Internet and computer savvy. After all, I work at a library that can't afford a true systems administrator (despite having a fairly sophisticated network complete with a server running our own domain). For years, I have been on the "Computer Point Committee" that helps troubleshoot the computers, and because of that, I have received a fair amount of training in computers. I can "ping" with the best of them, and I even know what "subnet masking" is.

But then I started blogging! Now I know that I have barely scratched the surface of what I need to know about the Internet. We are fortunate at the library to have volunteers design and run our homepage who are professionals (even though they donate their efforts to us), so I have never had to learn html, at least until now. My goal is to give myself a crash course in html during July, so that I can improve the look of the blog.

I also had no idea how creatively people were using their blogs to connect with others. Sure, I have been reading some political blogs for the past few years, and I check in with Dee almost every day to see what she is up to (since I only see her once or twice a month at guild meetings). But until I starting blogging, and really looking around the Internet to see what other knitters and crocheters were up to, I had never heard about knitalongs, and forums, and swaps. I had no idea what I was missing!

I'm still not sure how some of my fellow bloggers keep up with everything they're involved with, but I can understand how easy it is to want to get involved. Since this has become my summer of turning UFOs into FOs, I am trying to stay focused, but I keep thinking I should join Project Finishknit, since that is exactly what I am doing. I have already joined Whoduknit, and I have to admit that Knit the Classics is also tempting (but would I really get the books read?). Then along comes Bitchin' Mittens. If I ever get my Fair Isle hat done, the next step is to knit the mittens that go along with it. After all, I have enough yarn already. So we will have to see. But don't be surprised if my collection of buttons begins to grow over the next few months!

No comments: