Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's All About Feet These Days!

Well, I had a nice weekend. I got my R & R, and I finished a couple of things along the way. Yesterday was an unfortunate dose of reality, but then I knew it would be a hectic day at work. And at least it is a short week - it will be Friday before I know it!

First up, I finished a sock that I had started on vacation last year. It only took 6 months. That's almost a record for me! I had motivation to finish, however. This coming Sunday, I am getting together with 3 women from my crochet guild. One of them would like to learn to use double pointed needles when she knits, and the other 2 would like to learn how to knit toe-up socks. Since I am going to demonstrate the toe-up technique by starting the mate to this sock, this sock had to be finished to free up my needles. This is the Traveler Sock, and I am using 1 skein of Cascade 220, which the pattern calls for. This was my first short row heel, and I think I was hesitant because I thought it would be hard. It turns out that it is much easier to do than a heel flap and gussets, so that was a pleasant surprise. I hope to get the mate to this sock finished soon.

Then I figured out the problem with my child's slipper. It turns out that I hadn't missed any decreases. There was a wee bit of a problem with the pattern (perhaps a typo), which was making the 2 sides of the slipper asymetrical. Once I figured that out, I was off and running, and by Monday morning I had a pair.
I used less than 1 skein of Wool Ease to make the slippers, and I'm pleased with how they turned out. I will definitely make a few more pairs.

So this weekend was all about feet and all about knitting. I do have some crocheting going on, including a couple of hat & scarf sets and some WUA squares. And I am toying with some ideas for celebrating National Crochet Month in March, which will be here before we know it. And there was a little bit of stash enhancement, since I just couldn't resist Joann's sale on Wool Ease. (I mean, $1.80 a skein? How could I leave it in the store!) I did wipe out some of the gains I had made during the Knit A Mile challenge, but not all of them.

Oh, and the challenge ended yesterday. My grand total was 3,787.5 yards or 2.15 miles. I am very pleased with that result. I just hope I can keep my momentum going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love those Traveler's Socks!!!