Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fetching!

So, yes, out of the 6 projects I took with me on vacation, I only finished one of them. I knew that I wouldn't have a lot of shopping opportunities on this vacation, so I decided to knit a gift for the friend at work who fed my cat and looked after my house while I was away. Obviously, the project had to be small enough to finish in a week, so I decided to finally hop on the Fetching bandwagon, and I'm glad I did!
The pattern is extremely well written and easy to follow. I forgot to print out the directions for the cast on mentioned in the pattern, so I used a long tail cast on. I also used a traditional bind off. Otherwise I followed the pattern exactly. I used Plymouth Suri Merino, an alpaca/merino blend. The gloves are very soft and warm, and the cabling gives the cuff a nice texture. However, I now know why anyone would combine cables with knitting on dpns - because it feels so good when you stop! I really felt like I needed a 3rd hand while I was using the cable needle. Otherwise, knitting on dpns feels so natural now that I know my attempts to knit socks have paid off in at least one way.

Bottom line - I will definitely knit this pattern again, possibly even to make a pair for myself in the near future!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Fetching is a pattern that I definitely want to try as soon as I get dpns. Yours turned out lovely.