Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dog Days of Summer

Thank goodness the heat has broken this week in CT. It's still in the 80s, but the heatwaves seem to be over for now. No, my title refers more to how it feels around the internets lately. Now that I'm caught up after vacation, my Bloglines subscriptions have been as quiet this week as I've ever seen them.

And I feel like I'm in the doldrums myself. First of all, this has turned into a busy week. Work is still busy, what with all the folks who put off getting their children's summer reading books until the end of summer suddenly coming in desperate. At least the library's children's programs ended yesterday, and school goes back in 2 weeks from yesterday, so there is hope that things will begin to wind down. In addition, I got home late on Monday and so didn't feel like starting anything once we finally settled in front of the TV. We were up at my inlaws last night for dinner, and I am working tonight. Couple that with the fact that I had finished up a lot of my charity projects before vacation and my vacation projects require a little more thought than I can give them when I'm tired, and I just don't think I'm going to accomplish much this week.

The next couple of weekends are going to be busy, too. I'm working this Saturday, and my dh is going to be busy getting ready for the library's booksale next weekend. I'm working part of the following Saturday as well, while he's working at the booksale. And we found out last night that his nephew is going to be visiting my inlaws next weekend, so we need to fit in a family dinner as well. Luckily, the weekend after the booksale is a 3-day weekend. I think we're going to need one by then!

And to top everthing off, every time I walk into my yarn room I feel completely overwhelmed. Dee and I are still giggling over the idea that our yarn is breeding like tribbles, but here at home the mess in the yarn room is really starting to get to me. I mean, how am I ever going to put all this yarn to good use in my lifetime?! I know I have said before that I am going on a yarn diet, only to break it as soon as a sale crosses my path. However, I really am going to try to get serious and make a dent in my stash over the next few months.

So I think I'm going to take a couple of days off from blogging and try to get myself organized. I need to decide on some priorities among the various projects I am trying to get to, I still need to make a couple of afghan squares asap, and I need to get some easy projects going so I can take advantage of my evenings again. I'll try to check in by Saturday and let you know how my reorganization is going!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they have "Birth Announcements" available for the Yarn Tribbles ... ? Looking around, I think a hank & skein gave birth to triplets last night! {VBG}
~Dee

Anonymous said...

I too went on a yarn diet but now my stash is steadily dwindling from making those mitered squares. I had a "meltdown" today -- I ordered A LOT of Bernat Handicrafter yarn to start making Christmas & baby gifts.

Linda said...

I constantly struggle with the yarn issue. Now that I want to start making more wearables as opposed to home decor and kitchen items, there's nothing really in my stash that will work.

Real Life Mad Man said...

I thought I would comment here to make sure you actually saw my reply with ease...:) You asked what kind of yarn I used for the set I made for Homespun Helpers...the main yarn was just red Red Heart (a one-pounder). The edging was done in a novelty yarn, the name of which I can't remember...but it's all acrylics :)