Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hand Health

So I'm still icing and resting my hands. They are feeling much better, although if I could give up moving books around at work, they would feel even better! Interestingly, I found a thread over at the Crochet Liberation Front group on Ravelry about crochet related injuries and crocheting with pre-existing injuries. A lot of the posts discuss changing how you hold your hook, yarn, and project to protect the hands. I actually never think to do this, but once I am back in action, I would like to look at experimenting a bit. Even more interesting to me, though, was this link to a page with hand exercises and stretches. I find that stretching (when I am diligent about doing it) is the best antidote to any muscle pain. So I am adding some of the hand stretches to my regime. I hope this all works, because it's not easy to give up stitching entirely. I'm starting to get antsy to get back to work!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Great post, I'm gonna check out those stretches. Good luck to you. Pop in for a visit when you can, welcome mats always out. Hoped over from Homespun Helpers.

Take care
Sandy

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the link to the exercises. I thought I had solved some of my problems by switching to Continental . . . and it did work for awhile . . . but now, I am back to wrist braces and I wake with numb fingers. Bah humbug and all that other stuff.

Sandy said...

How's your squares and projects from them coming along? I've posted a few more things you might be interested in regarding squares.

Gonna hope off puter soon, and take some yarn outside to work on a few items.

I need some neck exercises....or a massage, come on over. lol

Have a good wkend.

I'm on Ravelry now, though still trying to find my way around. Please look me up there too, schcrochet is my ID

Sandy