Friday, May 09, 2008

Post Apocalyptic Thinking

So not much crafting going on the last couple of days, but I have been doing a lot of thinking about the future and how to survive it. There's been an amusing thread over on Ravelry (in the Remnants forum, if you want to go find it) about forming a post apocalyptic commune and what skills could everyone bring to it. I should add that they are referring to a zombie apocalypse, although at some point an apocalypse is an apocalypse. I have been very impressed with the skill sets some people have (although I do suspect that there has been some resume padding going on in some of the posts). I don't feel like I have many skills with which to survive an apocalypse, but my dh keeps pointing out that I can keep people warm with my knitting and crocheting and that I know how to extract information out of books. I'm skeptical about how useful that last skill will be, however. What with my training as both an historian and a librarian, I will be ideally suited to maintaining the memory of a culture that no longer exists, and not much else. Happily, I married a man with a much more practical skill set, so as long as I stick with him, I should be just fine.

The only real problem with all this thinking about the apocalypse is that it is making me want to buy and hoard more yarn. I mean, what happens if the sheep don't survive? I need to have yarn ready to go if I am going to keep people warm in the commune. But then I remember the 105 miles of yarn already in the stash, and I realize that I am already well provisioned, at least as far as yarn goes.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Stopping in to see what you're working on these days. Your post made me chuckle...I don't want to think that deeply though, it's kinda scarey. I join you in keeping people warm, could sew some too, do some gardening. I'm a fair cook, hubby is an accountant, has some reasonable carpenter type skills...not great though.

Whata Ravelry? I keep seeing people post about it, but don';t know what it is.

Hope you had a nice Mothers Day
Sandy