Thursday, November 30, 2006

Pleasant Surprises

Well, work didn't get much better yesterday. This week's issues seem to revolve around staffing shortages again. But I am happy to report that yesterday was filled with pleasant surprises that balanced the stress at work nicely!

Just after I finished posting yesterday, I checked my email one last time and discovered that I had won the Best Partner Contest in the October Birthday Swap! Lacey had written a very nice entry nominating me, and I guess it did the trick! I'll let you know what my prize is when I get it in the mail. I still say that was the nicest first swap anyone could have asked for. I hope my future swaps go as well.

Then, when I got to work, I received my second package from Amazon this week. I had ordered a book for my current Whoduknit swap, and it just didn't seem right to order just one book. (Never mind that I get free 2-day shipping regardless!) I had also ordered Victorian Lace Today without knowing much about it. So the second pleasant surprise yesterday was leafing through this book and falling totally in love with it! I want to make most of the projects in the book. The book is also filled with history and information about lace techniques and design. Best of all, a couple of the patterns use one skein of the Lacey Lamb yarn that I bought on vacation. And, in case you are interested, yes there is a KAL already for the book!

My last pleasant surprise for the day had nothing whatsoever to do with the fiber arts, but I am including it because I want to balance my complaints about work with some of the good things that happen there. We have a little boy who comes in with his mom frequently. He is about 2 1/2, and he is the most articulate, outgoing child I have ever met. We all love him to death! He knows all of our names, and he talks with us every time he comes in. Well, he came in yesterday afternoon while I was on my dinner break, but I saw him as he was leaving. Before he left, he came running over and gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek! As they left, his mom said to him "I think you just made her day" and I said, "Yes he did!" It was one of the sweetest moments I have ever had at work.

Not bad for one day!

No comments: