Monday, July 31, 2006

The Tooth of Time

Well, it's hot here in Connecticut, and it is going to get hotter, apparently, which is really scary. Consequently, I hardly touched hooks or needles all weekend. I spent some time with my stash yesterday afternoon, and I thought about doing all kinds of projects, but when it came to actually doing anything I just couldn't find the energy. The one thing I did manage to do was make a couple of swatches using ww yarn and a size K afghan hook. This was another suggestion of Dee's last week, and I have to say that using the Tunisian double crochet stitch I got a really soft and drapey fabric. So this might solve my problem with crocheted scarves. Dee will also be glad to know that I finally spent the Joann's gift card which I won last month guest blogging for her! Fittingly, I spent the card on a complete set of afghan hooks so I can really practice my Tunisian stitches.

I also spent some time reading Sue Henry's The Tooth of Time for Whoduknit. What a great book! I have gotten very fed up with books, particularly mysteries, written in first person, but it really works in this book. The characters are very appealing, especially Stretch the dachsund. But the best part is that the book is set in Taos, New Mexico, and some of the action takes place at a real shop called Weaving Southwest. So you know that I had to visit their website, and it turns out that Sue Henry really didn't change much about the place for her book. The knitting yarns that Henry describes in the book are all for sale on the site. I don't know about you, but the Winterplum colorway has my name on it! It looks good enough to eat! The yarn is a little expensive, being hand dyed and all, but I am going to keep it in mind if I happen to get a little money for my birthday. Henry also mentions a pattern for a ruana by Cheryl Oberle in a book called Handpaint Country. My library doesn't own it, but I will have to see if my Interlibrary Loan people can track down a copy. If not, there are plenty of other possible projects to knit for this book. I can't wait to get started!

No comments: