Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Crocheted Cast Ons/Bind Offs

I have to admit, I really like the crocheted cast on in knitting. It creates an edge that is identical to a traditional knitted bind off, which makes it a great choice for scarves and rectangular shawls and other projects where both edges are visible and need to look alike. (Stitch Diva has a nice tutorial on how to do a crocheted cast on. Although the tutorial is for a provisional cast on (a cast on that can be removed later if you need live stitches to knit in the other direction), the same technique can be used to do a permanent cast on. Just start with the yarn you will be using for the project rather than waste yarn, and just start knitting once you have cast on, rather than cutting the yarn.)

It had never occurred to me that it was also possible to do a crocheted bind off, but over the last few days, I have found two different techniques for just such a thing. The first was demonstrated by Lily Chin on Knitty Gritty. Her technique uses a crochet hook in place of the second knitting needle. The second is described by the Yarn Harlot this morning on her blog. Her technique starts at the opposite end from the working yarn and so uses no extra yarn to bind off. Since my bind offs are frequently too tight, from now on I may reach for a crochet hook rather than a larger knitting needle to combat that problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I like this news! ... it could possibly change my whole perspective! LOL
~Dee