Monday, February 26, 2007

Not Much to Show

I don't have much to show from last week or the weekend, for once. I knew that I wouldn't get any knitting or crochet projects finished this past weekend, so I concentrated on finishing the 3 mystery books I had somehow managed to start lately. I actually finished reading 2 of them and came close on a 3rd last night. I need to clear the decks, because I am really looking forward to the March book for Whoduknit - Haunted Ground by Erin Hart.

The 2 books I finished are Bicycle Built for Murder, by Kate Kingsbury and The Dutch Blue Error, by William Tapply. Bicycle was a nice little English cozy mystery, set during WWII in the village of Sitting Marsh. (Does it get more English than that?!) I think I had read a previous book by the author, but I can't remember the title. Anyway, I enjoyed it and I have the next book in the series here at home to read.

I picked up the William Tapply book because I have heard very good things about him. Dutch Blue Error was the 2nd book he had written in the series, back in the 1980s, and I will have to try something written more recently because I can't say I was very impressed with this book. Tapply is a good writer and storyteller, but I just felt that Robert Parker had done the same thing only better. Still, I am glad I stuck with it and got the book finished.

So now I am working on finishing John Dunning's 3rd book in his Clifford Janeway series - The Bookman's Promise. I love this series. The detective is an excop turned bookseller, and the storylines are fairly involved and revolve around rare books. It just doesn't get any better than that for me! I will try and finish this book up in the next day or two.

Posting may be a bit light this week. I had a bit of an emergency with my mom last week. She had a bad nosebleed that took hours to stop. So we are now in another round of doctor visits and tests to see why it happened. Luckily my hours at work are somewhat flexible, but I will have to make up the time that I am out with her. I also have to send out the first crochet guild newsletter sometime this week, so I am going to be a busy girl for a few days here! Rest assured that I will continue to work on my projects, and maybe by the time I get back, I will have some FOs to show off!

No comments: