Thursday, December 20, 2007

Inventory

Along with inspiration and crazy challenges, the Great Stash Knitdown of 2008 has presented me with a deep, philosophical question - to inventory or not to inventory the stash. On the one hand, it would be extremely useful to know just exactly how deep I am in with my stash. Even though some of it is squirreled away, I do have a pretty good idea of what's where and what yarns I own. However, I have no clue how many yards (or miles) of yarn are in the stash, and that knowledge could be very motivating! On the other hand, inventorying the stash would be extremely time consuming, and that's time I could be spending knitting and crocheting. The other problem with doing an inventory is a lack of floor space in the yarn room at the moment. I can drag all of the yarn out of the various hiding places, but then I would have nowhere to put it to actually inventory it.

So my current solution to this dilemma is this. Starting in January, I am going to keep track of skeins & yardage used. As I whittle down the stash and reclaim floor space in the yarn room, I will begin to inventory what's left. Eventually, I will have a better sense of what I have used over the course of 2008 and what's left to be used. I think that will use my time more efficiently, while giving me the knowledge I need to get the stash under control.

Starting tomorrow, posting will be somewhat sporadic until after the holidays. However, I promise you that as soon as I finish the log cabin afghan, you all will be the first to know! Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Knitika said...

Happy Holidays! Looking forward to the afghan pics. Enjoy your family time :)