Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Baktus

Last week, while searching Ravelry at work, I found a pattern that got me excited. This is actually fairly unusual. I look at a lot of patterns, most of which don't interest me all that much. My Ravelry queue is only about 30 patterns long, so I am rather particular about what I want to make. But Baktus really grabbed my imagination, and I couldn't wait to get started. The pattern originated in Norway, as far as I can tell, and Baktus was originally a character in Norwegian mythology.

Baktus is basically a large triangular scarf that is worked end to end (rather than bottom to top) in garter stitch. I decided to use a self-striping yarn, and I got this far:
Then I hesitated, because the stripes look a little unusual because of the construction of the piece. So I went digging further into the stash, and found another yarn to try.
Then I went back to Ravelry and looked at all 400 projects listed on there. And I finally reassured myself that the FOs all looked fine and mine would too. So I now have 2 versions of this project started, both of which I want to finish. Luckily this is a quick and fun project to knit, even if I am using fingering weight yarn and size 3 needles.

However, I also now have self-striping sock yarn on the brain and wouldn't you know that elann.com put some self-striping sock yarn on sale yesterday. I fell in love with 3 of the colorways, so I now have 3 skeins of sock yarn coming my way. I just couldn't resist! Since I don't think I have bought yarn all year, I don't feel too bad. But I will be good now until August, when I go to the Knit and Crochet Show.

2 comments:

Taphophile said...

It's such a pretty set of colours in the yarn. I still baulk at using sock yarn for anything other than socks - silly, I know.

Sandy said...

Raising my hand to ask...what do you mean end to end. Don't we always knit or crochet end to end, unless we're knitting or crocheting in the round?

You're going from the point to the widest part of the triangle? Is the widest part considered to be the end...the end being the part that would drap your shoulders in a shawl?

Baktus, a mythical character...sounds interesting.

Yarn and I still aren't back to being best buds, I'm trying though.

The travel blog has been a really nice source of change...release for me. Please swing by. I've added many destinations for you to do some virtual travel with me.

Sandy