Friday, June 19, 2009

Baktus Clarified

Sandy left a comment on Wednesday's post, and I thought a more detailed explanation was in order (since I might have confused others as well). I mentioned that Baktus was knitted end to end rather than bottom to top. Typically, when I knit a triangular scarf, I start at the bottom point of the triangle and increase up to the shoulder. Then I knit both ties one at a time. This gives me a scarf that looks like these:

Baktus starts at the narrow end of one of the ties. You increase to the widest part of the triangle, then you decrease down to the end of the second tie. I think this will give me a shallower triangle than the scarves pictured above, which will be a nice change. I think Baktus will be more flexible in how I can wear it.

I also wanted to thank Taph for her comment. I think that I don't mind using sock yarn for other projects because I'm just not a committed sock knitter. I know how to knit socks, well enough to help others, and I have made several pairs. But I don't find it as addictive as some knitters do. However, I have to try making a pair with a more detailed pattern one of these days. Outside In from the new Knitty might be the candidate. The plain vanilla socks that I have made get a little boring to knit. So making socks a little more challenging might just make them a little more addictive as well. And I have plenty of sock yarn in the stash to play with to try this theory out!

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks! I understand now what you mean and appreciate the clearification. I've done shawls from point end up; but have never knitted the two ends separately. I use the basic method of increasing until it's where you want it. Once I started at the big end and decreased to the point; but had a bit of trouble with the shape when I did it that way.

I'm visiting folks who've left comments on my travelingsuitcase blog this am and thus am here again.

Hugs and have a super wkend.
Sandy

Taphophile said...

That's a lovely sock. Plain socks are one f my standbys. They are multi-tasking knits so I don't rely on them for interest and entertainment.