Wednesday, February 28, 2007

It Started in December...

... and it's growing for myself and others. Let me explain. Back in December, Jane over at Yarnstorm posted about starting a ripple afghan. She isn't really a crocheter, but she chose to crochet this afghan. I was enchanted, partly because When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit has been on our summer reading lists and the title amuses us a bit - I mean, juxtaposing Hitler and a pink rabbit? Some day I really need to read the book. I just love the picture of the pink bear wearing the ripple afghan as a scarf. I wanted to make both a pink bear and a ripple scarf.

Then, by the end of the month, Jane finished her afghan. I immediately wanted to make a ripple afghan. How can you look at that afghan and not want one for yourself? And it would go a long way towards using up my stash of Simply Soft.

Then, Alicia started a ripple afghan as well. Kim over at CrochetMe called Alicia's afghan "the most gorgeous ripple afghan ever", and with the exception of Jane's, I am inclined to agree.

Now, this morning, I find that there is a crochet along for ripple afghans. I am so proud of the crocheters! This is one of the first CALs I have seen on the web (other than at specific forums).

So now the struggle begins. I need another project like I need a hole in the head! But I really want to ripple! I have had the book 200 Ripple Stitches on order at the library since December, and it hasn't come in yet, which will slow me down. I really like the soft ripple from the book. I don't want to find another ripple pattern. And using all those colors worries me too. What if I choose colors that don't look good together? And that is exactly why this project would be a really good exercise for me. I think and worry too much about things when I should just go for them. Rest assured, if I start riding the crest of my own wave, you all will be the first to know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Nanny crocheted me a ripple afghan and I love it. She alternated grey, light pink, and white to make it. At first I didn't know what she was thinking with that color combo because I personally wouldn't have thought of grey with pink, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.I would love to make one myself but I never caught on to crochet due to everyone in my family being right-handed except for me and my mom thus the two of us never could quite catch on to it.

Kim Werker said...

You should totally join in! The "no end in sight" part means there's no deadline (and no rush to begin right away), so there's no pressure. Using stash yarn makes it an adventure in colour -- each new row changes the look of the entire blanket. Nudge nudge. :)