Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why Scarves?

It wouldn't surprise me if some of you have been asking yourselves why I am so in love with scarves right now. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I do wear scarves a lot in winter, really almost every day, but still, how many scarves does one girl need?

However, I do have a couple of (hopefully good) reasons for focusing on scarves. The sad truth is that my stash will never be knitted or crocheted down unless I make a lot of scarves. I bought a lot of yarn in small amounts over the years for the purpose of making scarves. It seemed like a good and inexpensive way to try out new yarns and stitch patterns. So if I am going to get a handle on the stash, I need to make scarves in quantity. (And in case you are wondering, the stashdown is going to continue into 2009.)

I have also come to realize that I will never be addicted to sock knitting. I am glad that I know how to do it and that I have been able to pass some of those skills along to friends. But I don't think I will ever be the sort of person to churn out sock after sock. So scarves are my preferred small projects, especially for travelling. And at least some of the sock yarn stash will work for scarves, furthering the stashdown attempt.

As far as what I am going to do with all of them, right now I am considering them "stock". I would really like to find a way to sell at least some of the scarves to raise money for MS research. I'm still pondering the best way to go about that. While I ponder, I am going to put the finished scarves aside so that when I am ready, I will actually have something to sell.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Just finished a scarf last night myself, and started a new one. Think I'm probably going to donate 3 to Scarfs from the Heart. You might pop over and see if you're interested in doing that too.

Selling them to benefit MS also a good project. Could you have a auction? Or perhaps a raffel would be easier and more straight forward? Take pictures of your scarfs, make some tickets on your computer? Sell them in the neighborhood and work etc. then winner could pick their scarf or two, while the others go to a good charity like the one above, or Red Scarf Project and you'd have ghe money go to MS??

Good Luck and let me know what you come up with.

Sandy

Steph said...

I know how you feel - I dislike making socks myself. Am glad I know how, but it just isn't in my blood to whip them out over and over. Hats and scarves are my project of choice. Good luck with your stashbusting and continued efforts. :D

Real Life Mad Man said...

If you want to sell anything for MS research, please let me know. My grandmother had MS so it's a cause close to my heart. And if you make the scarves for someone else to sell for charity, they count towards Homespun Helpers :)

Miss ya! Glad things are getting better for you.