Wednesday, May 31, 2006

...and the Geometry of Crochet

I don't want to leave this math theme without mentioning crocheted model of hyperbolic space. If a simple plane in geometry is completely flat, then a hyperbolic plane is full of curves, like ruffles. And it turns out that crochet is the perfect medium for representing hyperbolic space. The mathematician who originally created these models admitted in an interview that "at first I tried knitting, but after a while you had so many stitches on the needles it became impossible to handle. I realized that crochet was the best method." So score one for crochet!

If you are interested in crocheting a model of hyperbolic space for yourself (and they are attractive, almost like coral), then try this pattern. I have to admit, though, that this post has me thinking more about ruffles than geometry. I wonder how I can incorporate more ruffles into my crochet work? Ah, so many ideas, so little time...!

1 comment:

Mabs said...

Excellent! A way to combine mathematics & crochet! I'm so excited, yet feel like such a dork! Nice job on the blog, and thanks for the cool links to crocheted hyperbolic planes.